Our roots go back to 1929, when Farmers Union Oil Company of Williston commenced business operations. Within a matter of months the 110 original members grew to over 500 and continued to rise as the years passed. Several key years stand out in the timeline of what would become Horizon Resources, including the purchase of the building that would become our first service station in 1936 and then the subsequent construction of a new service station in 1965. By 1973, we continued our growth by expanding into propane, purchasing both tanks and a plant. The mid 70’s also saw the construction of a Storage and Bulk Anhydrous Ammonia Fertilizer Plant, and in 1991 a local Soil Service was also purchased.
We soon saw our Agronomy Division expanding into eastern Montana with the 1994 purchase of the Fairview and Savage Fertilizer Plants from Cenex® and later in 1997 with the purchase of the Culbertson Fertilizer Plant. Our Petroleum Division was also expanding with the purchase of Major Oils Inc. in 1997 and a new C-store was constructed in 2001 in Ray, ND. This facility also includes a full service shop. Also in 2001 Northwest Grain Cooperative in Williston and Watford City merged with Prairie States Cooperative Terminal of Zahl, Grenora and Alamo. This merger created a central grain shipping location for NW North Dakota. A history of growth and expansion finally culminated in 2006 when Farmers Union Oil merged with Prairie States Cooperative Terminal to create Horizon Resources. In 2012, Horizon Resources acquired Farmers Union Oil Company of Wildrose, with that came a Agronomy, Propane and C-Store location to serve our customers in a wide area of locations. With it came a continued promise to be a leader in connecting customers to both resources and markets, not only today but for many years to come!